Answer: You Should Get A Massage As Often As You Can!
The End! There is no need to read anymore, lol!
In some ways we are very sincere in saying this, “you should be getting a massage as often as you can!” But what does that mean exactly? Well, we will attempt to answer that for you more specifically in this blog post. I have been in this business for almost 15 years! So, we have been asked this question many more times than we can remember. Its fair to say an honest answer from a seasoned professionals is what you will get.
Being able to identify what you want to accomplish is a good start. Each treatment goal will vary in length for instances; a 16 year old professional ballroom dancer who puts in 30 hours of dancing in a week and has muscle imbalances will have much different needs than a stay-at-home mom looking for stress-relief and relaxation.
Why Are You Seeking Massage Therapy?
Health and relaxation –
( The “maintenance program” is recommended every 3 or 4 months; this is usually someone who is suffering no real pain problems or has any major concerns ) This is what we call regular maintenance work. Just as your car needs regular oil changes and tuneups, your body needs improved circulation and manual manipulation of the soft tissues, so that your joints can have proper movement and fluids in the joint capsule. This prevents pain and inflammation from building up.
- Cost: Every 3 to 4 month minimum! At this interval massage is affordable! Cost estimate for every 3 months is just under $9 a week for a 75 minute session. A 90 minute session just under $11 a week! Skip the Starbucks just twice a week and save enough to get a massage!
Stress management –
( The “Silicon Valley stress reduction and tight tense muscles plan” is recommended once or twice a month ) This is what we recommend for the average office worker or executive that lives in Silicon Valley. Computer pain syndrome or a.k.a. Silicon Valley Syndrome causes major stress and pain problems throughout your body. Prolonged static postures cause your muscles to become weak and inhibited while others are becoming tight, strong, and short, this is a muscle imbalance. These tight muscles cause a restriction in blood circulation and increases stress and tension throughout your entire body.
- Cost: This program interval is for the high stress lifestyle individual who still wants to perform their best and set their body up to meet head-on the stresses of living in Silicon Valley. We recommend two 60 or 75 minute session per month at $180 – $210 a month; this is less than your average cell phone or cable bill!
Chronic pain –
( The “pain relief and chronically tight muscles plan” is recommended 1 – 3 times a week for the 1st month ) This program is considered aggressive and its meant to be this way on purpose. Whenever you are dealing with chronic pain symptoms, you have already been driving the car with its flashing“check engine” light on for days, weeks or maybe even months.
Now your car or your body in this case is signaling you to stop and get it checked now! You may have severe back, knee, neck, or shoulder pain that is debilitating. You are taking pain killer medications daily. And the pain is making you grumpy, frustrated, irritated and unable to function and its costing you time off from work.
- Cost: This program interval is designed to jump on the brakes and slow this pain process down now. We recommend that you purchase a package of 5 or 10 and use the sessions according to what your therapist outlines.
After the first 30 days, we will put you on a“diminishing frequency” where in the beginning, you will come in like once or twice a week and eventually easing you off to 1 to 3 times a month.
Our 10 pack massage session are sold at a 10% discount. A package of 10, 90 minute sessions is $1080** a saving of $120.
Athletes – injury prevention/increase performance/recovery –
( This is our “maintain healthy muscle tissue plan”, times will vary depending on goals ) This program is based on the needs of the player. We have worked with many professional, college and even high school athletes and during the off-season, they need more work because they are usually training during this time to get their bodies ready for the upcoming season, 1 – 3 times a week.
For others its a time to recover and heal from the long season, we recommend once a week depending on the sport and whether you have any injuries to deal with. During the season its whenever they can schedule it, of course its never enough because of the rigors of playing at 110% and the physical wear and tear on their body is tremendous. If you are a weekend warriors 1 – 3 times per month is recommended.
- Cost: This program will vary depending on the needs of the athlete. During the off-season athletes usually buy a 10 pack and purchase more as needed. During the season they typically pay per session.
Our 10 pack massage session are sold at a 10% discount. A package of 10, 75 minute sessions is $945** a savings of $105.
Scar tissue removal –
(This is our “breaking up scar tissue from a post operative surgery plan” and is recommended 1 – 2 times a week ) This program is design to break up scar tissue usually caused by some cosmetic or corrective surgery. The best time to come in for scar tissue work is usually within the 1st 60 – 120 days of your surgery. You can read more about why this time frame is important by clicking “scar tissue removal” or here.
- Cost: This program will vary from individual to individual because many factors determine how quickly you respond (i.e. is it a weight-bearing injury, the duration and the location of the scar tissue all matter). A 10 massage session pack is recommended to start with and that scar tissue package is $900**, your sessions will be between 45 – 60 minutes long.
Baby Boomers –
( Our “treating muscle stiffness and arthritic joint pain plan” is recommended, 1 – 2 times a month with a home care program ) This program is design to reduce muscle pain and joint stiffness associated from years of overuse activities and poor static postures. Depending on how active you are, you may be suffering from muscle weakness, decrease strength and joint stiffness. Your connective and fascia tissues also become less elastic and thicken over the years. Regular massages prevent these tissues from becoming stiff. Also seek the assistance of a functional strength or corrective exercise trainer.
- Cost: This program interval will vary from individual to individual due to the many health issues that some baby boomers may be experiencing. Stiff joints can limit your daily activities and increase your chances of injury with hip fractures being the most common among baby boomers. With our 65 and up program, you pay only $1 a minute Monday thru Wednesday. We recommend two 60 min. or 90 min. sessions per month $120 – $180 a month.
How To Measure Massage As A Successful Treatment Plan
It is our experience that no matter what condition, you are seeking relief from, you should see some improvement in that condition after 3 massage sessions. If not, we would suggest that you find another massage therapist to work with.
Some massage therapists specialize in only certain massage techniques (i.e. pregnancy massage, Swedish, lymphatic or relaxation types massages) and these techniques may not be the best approach to your muscle pain or joint stiffness.
Choose your therapist based on his/her skill-set and your goals desired, not because you have been going to them for the last 5 years. Don’t allow too much time to go in-between sessions, the goal of any therapy session is consistency. If you feel better after your first session don’t stop going now because these results are not permanent, your body’s tissues have memory and will slowly recoil to their previous form.
In the beginning of your massage treatment program scheduling sessions that are closer together is more beneficial. This way your therapist will be able to “build upon the previous session’s work” which will create a better experience for you. Waiting too long in-between sessions is like starting all over again. Lastly, if your therapist gives you a home-care program follow it and if they do not offer you one find another therapist with more professional experience.
*management are higher priced.
** rates subject to change.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.